Re: [ietf-smtp] Quoted-Printable-8bit

2021-03-30 19:39:25
I don't have a strong position on the 8BITMIME question itself,
but, as people think about changing or ignoring the requirement,
they should probably keep in mind that SMTPUTF8 (RFC 6530ff)
require 8BITMIME, i.e., advertising SMTPUTF8 without also
advertising 8BITMIME is invalid. ...

I couple of years ago I did some surveys of MTAs for the UASG. Of 56,901 MTAs I survyed, 56,262 advertised 8BITMIME. The only identifiable MTA not offering it was an obscure Windows MTA called Mailenable.

There were a few Postfix and Exim servers not advertising it (165 out of 28,000 for Exim, 15 out of 14,739 for Postfix) which I assume were configuration errors.

It would be resonable to make 8BITMIME a MUST now. Ever since the last PDP-10 left the net about 30 years ago, every machine on the Internet uses 8 bit bytes which makes 8BITMIME close to free to implement.

Regards,