Re: [ietf-smtp] [Emailcore] Proposed ESMTP keyword RCPTLIMIT

2021-04-19 17:01:57
On 2021-04-19 2:18 p.m., Ned Freed wrote:
I'm especially interested in people's thoughts on rate limits. The problem I
have with rate limits is, well, how to express them. For example, a rate limit
of 10 transactions a minute is not the same as 600 transactions an hour: In the
former case it's unlikely that a sender will be allowed to bang out 600 messages
in a minute followed by 59 minutes of silence, whereas the latter allows that.

The question is, in many cases the rate limits will change during the course of the SMTP connection..

And we may not have enough information to declare a rate limit, and declaring a rate limit that isn't accurate means it isn't smart to advertise a limit that is not guaranteed.

That rate limit may change on many variables that occur during the SMTP connection..

And because of this, many MTA's will not be able to advertise one correctly, I know that in our MTA's that will be the case, and of course we expect that any sender properly handles any form of instruction to stop sending, whether any pre-advertised limit is in place or not.

Given that, (MTA's ability to respond to a 'stop sending' (4xx or 5xx)) we will continue using dynamic rate limits, rather than preset limits, instead of implementing two mechanisms.

I am sure others out there with advanced SMTP architectures are facing the same concerns.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."