Re: [ietf-smtp] [Emailcore] Proposed ESMTP keyword RCPTLIMIT

2021-04-19 19:09:46
George Schlossnagle writes:

The common limits we see in the real world (in order of most common occurrence/impact) are:

Messages per connection
Recipients per message
Simultaneous connections per sending IP (this would be my number one suggested add)

This is surprising: that messages per connection is more commonly checked than everything else.

I would expect that a receiving server would prefer reusing the same connection, to send consecutive messages, than have the sender establish a connection, send one message, then tear it down.

A long time ago that was Qmail's well-known bad rep: its simplistic implementation, how it created a connection for every individual message. So, a dozen messages to the same domain resulted in dozens of concurrent connections, all to send one message and disconnect.

I see nothing to gain from forcing a sending server to artificially limit itself; how after every N sent messages it has to close its socket, and reconnect again. What is that supposed to accomplish? I don't get it.