Re: [ietf-smtp] DKIM and DMARC, Email explained from first principles

2021-05-25 21:20:09
On 5/25/2021 7:11 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Dave Crocker writes:

Actually, no, that's not what I said.  Bad actors are always the first to adopt the newest anti-spam technologies, to abuse those unfortunates who interpret DKIM the way you described.

DKIM establishes a clean (noise-free) channel from the signer, which means that any assessment about them really is about them.  If they are bad actors, that is a lot easier to assess, as is if they are good actors.

Ah, but the first paragraph's the rub. That's why I saw DKIM-Signature: as a spam indicator: the bad actors' initial take-up of DKIM-Signature: was quite noticable.

That was definitely true at one point. Based on today's numbers that I looked at the mainstream adoption of DKIM sadly diluted its early value as a spam indicator, ironically.

You seem to have fixated on using the existence of a signature as indicating goodness or badness. Since it isn't intended to do that, please stop casting the issue in terms of whether it accomplishes that.

One more time:

1) DKIM creates a noise free channel of mail associated with the signing identifier.

2) A noise-free channel permits accurate assessment of the actor associated with the identifier.

3) Assessment is a separate process from identification; DKIM does identification.

You can't really have both. Either you "formulate your own criteria", or you'll outsource your spam filtering.

Well, actually, you CAN do both, if you want. But whether you can or not is irrelevant to any of the points I was making...

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking