Re: [ietf-smtp] Should we update an RFC if people refuse to implement parts of it ?

2021-06-04 17:06:47
Dave Crocker writes:

If the operational industry has voted with its code and clearly prefers A- labels, than the SHOULD is an especially counter-productive choice, since it creates debate about the specification where, really, it has no benefit. I suspect MAY is the better choice. It gives permission and even implicit encouragement, but eliminates the standards tension caused by not using U- labels.

The current preference is for A-labels. But after SMTPUTF8 becomes customary: at some point it will make sense to interpret SHOULD using its original meaning, here.