Re: [ietf-smtp] Should we update an RFC if people refuse to implement parts of it ?

2021-06-06 12:00:47
On 6/6/2021 9:56 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
On Sat 05/Jun/2021 20:14:28 +0200 John C Klensin wrote:
(2) At the risk of being even more pragmatic about your "very
pragmatic" proposal, I know of no way to make an authoritative
change in a standards track RFC -- whether one word or a few
paragraphs -- without generating an I-D, having it discussed in
the community, going through IETF Last Call, and publishing a
new RFC.

How about an erratum?

Unfortunately, the administrative rule on RFC errata is that they are limited to corrections where what is written does not match what was intended. That is, documentation errors, rather than -- such as here -- revised goals.

But, yeah.  The way to address a modest change is with a modest effort.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking