Re: [ietf-smtp] Should we update an RFC if people refuse to implement parts of it ?

2021-06-06 14:43:38
On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 18:56:58 +0200, Alessandro Vesely said:
On Sat 05/Jun/2021 20:14:28 +0200 John C Klensin wrote:

(2) At the risk of being even more pragmatic about your "very
pragmatic" proposal, I know of no way to make an authoritative
change in a standards track RFC -- whether one word or a few
paragraphs -- without generating an I-D, having it discussed in
the community, going through IETF Last Call, and publishing a
new RFC.

How about an erratum?

This smells more like a BCP.  But I'm not sure one thing like that qualifies for
a BCP by itself, and I'm not seeing the energy needed for a wider-reaching BCP.