Re: [ietf-smtp] Should we update an RFC if people refuse to implement parts of it ?

2021-06-04 18:15:10
On 6/4/2021 3:21 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
Would the EAI WG have made
different decisions in some cases had there been full
understanding of what we know now, including what and how people
would choose to implement?

No doubt you are right. We didn't have much experience yet, with operational enhancement efforts such as ESMTP, RFC2822, MIME, DNSSec, DKIM, or much else.

Otherwise, please explain how additional discussions of the
wording of the specs -- perhaps as distinguished from sharing
implementation experience and perspectives -- are helpful.

The current concern I saw is with field experience demonstrating that SHOULD is out of sync, with the obvious suggestion that it be changed.

You appear to be asking how it would be helpful to have the specification reflect extensive field experience. But maybe not?

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking