Re: [ietf-smtp] draft-crocker-email-deliveredto

2021-08-01 22:25:30
On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 1:10 PM John R Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Mon, 2 Aug 2021, George Michaelson wrote:
Prior use is a problem, I agree.

I don't see why it's a problem.  The reasonable thing for this draft to do
is to describe the well established existing practice, since that practice
is not going to change.

It's a problem the draft has to address. I think we're agreeing.

It turns out not to be useful for procmail. MTAs invariably have other
ways to tell procmail what the current delivery address is, via a command
line argument or environment variable, and it's up to the local
configuration whether to add the Delivered-To before the message is
passed to procmail.

I simply don't agree John.

Um, I'm not speaking hypothetically here.  I've been running mail through
pracmail with this setup for 20 years.  A lot of other qmail and procmail
and courier users do, too.

Now re-process that mail honouring the original Envelope logic.

Or, move to a Mail provider who doesn't use the same mechanisms to
pass Envelope to you. Remember, you're a corner case, you are not an
average Mail user by any stretch. I think you're in the minority of
mail consumers, saying that because 1% can handle this, there's no
need for standards work.

I know you were not speaking hypothetically. I know people can do
things with cmdline and env.  And yes, I know use of this Delivered-To
mechanism will be not guaranteed either, although if it was adopted by
the big 4 mail providers, it would become significantly more
widespread.

cheers