Re: [ietf-smtp] what does Delivered-To do, was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification

2021-08-05 21:37:28
xargs grep -i ^Delivered-to: > /tmp/deliveries
[~/Mail] wc /tmp/over20
  35421  35421 507694 /tmp/over20
[~/Mail] wc /tmp/deliveries
  13694  31246 801887 /tmp/deliveries

So literally*last century*  40% of the mail I kept around arrived with a
majority were various mailing lists (9,759 were various SecurityFocus lists,
2,306 from the NANOG list, and 1,629 from a total of 54 different sources
from literally every continent.

That's nice. However it does nothing to tell us what was IN those header fields. That's the issue that is being contested.

Glad to hear we agree that the sensible approach is to research and document the existing practice.

It's still fairly hard, though. I expect that all of those headers contain something that looks like a mailbox, but there's no straightforward way to tell from outside whether it is a loop breaking token or an actual mailbox.

Regards,