Re: [ietf-smtp] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-email-deliveredto-05.txt

2021-08-08 12:02:30
On Thu 05/Aug/2021 04:16:40 +0200 Dave Crocker wrote:
This has changes intended to cover the existing use of the field.

I read the draft anew.  Some nits/ notes/ questions below:

*3.  Delivered-To*

s/am email delivery/an email delivery/.

The new syntax looks puzzling:

   "Delivered-To:"  FWS *phrase Mailbox *phrase CRLF
                    ; Mailbox is from [SMTP]

The presence of phrases around the Mailbox makes this field difficult to parse. Without angle brackets, the presence of an unquoted "@" being the only difference. It is puzzling because phrase usage is neither discussed nor exemplified, and IME not seen in the wild.

*5.  Security Considerations*

I'd explicitly note that users concerned abut divulging their final recipient address should be wary about forwarding messages as attachment, e.g. when complaining about spam, because the topmost Delivered-To:'s can betray secret addresses. How about recommending that MUAs provide a tool to remove that info?

*7.  Experimental Goals*

It is not clear whether implementations that are already recording Delivered-To: into messages but not exactly as specified in the I/D are supposed to change their code in order to comply rather than comment to the mailing list about their discrepancy.

Best
Ale