Re: [ietf-smtp] homework, not an experiment, draft-crocker-email-deliveredto

2021-08-06 14:38:45
On 8/6/2021 12:32 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 11:56:50AM -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:

If an MUA wants to learn the envelope recipient address to which the
message was sent (by the immediate upstream MUA or relay) then Delivered-To
is not the right header for that.  That's why Exim has Envelope-To, while
Postfix has "X-Original-To:", both of which are intended for consumption by
tools like fetchmail.

So you are saying that it is not possible for one Delivered-To to show
the actual address it has been delivered to, followed by another
Delivered-To that shows a local transformation to an internal delivery
string?

Well, since "Delivered-To:" is for MTA-private use (loop detection) and

Sorry. I missed hearing about the documented rule that restricts it use this way.

(by default) records the internal envelope recipient passed to the LDA,
rather than the input envelope recipient from the sending agent, it was
deemed appropriate to conflate these into a single header.

It's not conflating.  It is, arguably, exactly the same use.

Note that gmail, for example, merely puts the .... delivery address... into the field.

The claim that this field gets some sort of mystical, obscure token has yet to be document. So far, all that has been shown, beyond a simple email address, is some descriptive text. Before a string in the form of an email address, which might well be the delivery address.

Or are you saying that Delivered-To has nothing to do with delivery?

I am saying that "Delivered-To" is used for detecting loops in case the

That's nice, but it doesn't answer my question.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking