Re: [ietf-smtp] loop homework, not an experiment, draft-crocker-email-deliveredto

2021-08-07 10:50:54
>> If you want a header that records the envelope address, Exim calls that
>> I don't see any benefit to conflating that with a loop breaking token.
>
> Why use one field that is sufficient when we can pretend two are needed?

This is the sort of thing we can describe in the survey of existing usage,
for the benefit of people less familiar with the way mail systems work.

When mail systems do internal forwards using things like .forward or
/etc/alias, each forward adds a Delivered-To, which breaks a->b->c->a
loops.  Since there's no SMTP involved, there's usually no Received and
never an Envelope-To.  Also, as Sam, Viktor, and I have explained, the
internal forwards are not necessarily to or from anything that has an
externally valid envelope address.

What happens when there are multiple recipients? Message splitting?

                                Ned