Re: [ietf-smtp] loop homework, not an experiment, draft-crocker-email-deliveredto

2021-08-07 10:58:28
When mail systems do internal forwards using things like .forward or
/etc/alias, each forward adds a Delivered-To, which breaks a->b->c->a
loops.  Since there's no SMTP involved, there's usually no Received and
never an Envelope-To.  Also, as Sam, Viktor, and I have explained, the
internal forwards are not necessarily to or from anything that has an
externally valid envelope address.

What happens when there are multiple recipients? Message splitting?

For Delivered-To loop breaking it doesn't matter since it's just a token to show that the message has already been wherever it is.

I believe that Exim does one delivery at a time so its Envelope-To only has one address. I can ask Jeremy what happens with multiple recipient messages.

Regards,