Re: Starting the ietf-xml-mime mailing list

1999-04-07 12:21:37
Shane P. McCarron <ahby(_at_)themacs(_dot_)com> writes:
[...]
In case it isn't obvious, I too lean toward each application "family"
having their own media type.  This is the only broadly recognized
announcement mechanism we have, after all.

In thinking about this more, I can see the value in defining a new
media type 'text/xhtml' for the family iff we see that all applications
within that space using the same infrastructure and mechanisms for
extensibility, so that any application within that space can predict
how to read what has been extended and the implications of the
extension. We *may* be able to solve that with document profiles.

But if it's still open season within 'text/xhtml' then we've only put
off the problem until later, and also compounded it by meaninglessly
fragmented the 'text/xml' space. If there is a solution for XML it
should be the same as for XHTML, and so my sense is that either the
HTML WG's concept of document profiles is more usable generally in
XML or we're duplicating what must also be done for XML.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML Grease Monkey         <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
Member of Technical Staff, Tools Development & Support
Sun Microsystems, 901 San Antonio Rd., UMPK17-102, Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900

              An SGML declaration does not an i18n make.