Re: Modest Proposal

1999-05-12 10:08:43
At 09:20 AM 5/12/99 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
At 11:04 AM 5/12/99 -0500, Chris Lilley wrote:

We expect the MIME type for the SVG image format (which is, indeed,
written in xml) to be image/xml.

This is because it is an image format, and we need to do content
negotiation. For stand-alone files, the fact that it happens to be
written in xml is less important than the fact that it is an image.

I would have thought that the fact that it's in SVG is also more
important for dispatching purposes than the fact that SVG happens
to use XML syntax.  Also... is this going to be the only xml-encoded
image format anyone ever creates?

I definitely have to agree here.  I'll be very surprised if svg is the only
image format ever created with XML.

(And yes, it's image, not graphics.  Never try to give up coffee.  You get
headaches and end up stupid. I'm brewing some now in what's probably a vain
attempt to get my head working again.)

I'm dubious about the modest proposal, but both image/svg or image/svg-xml
seem much more useful than image/xml.

At least it's a response, dubious or not. What would you (or anyone) like
to change?

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (June)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com