Re: Modest Proposal

1999-05-12 18:01:01
At 04:32 PM 5/11/99 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
This provides for things like:
graphics/svg-xml
application/xpdl-xml
application/ice-xml
model/x3d-xml

I'm starting to buy into the concept that in the general case it's useful
to know when something's using XML syntax, no matter what its "essential"
type, such as SVG or X3D or whatever.  The examples that sway me are the
existence proof of IE5, Simon's point about doing full-text indexing.

But that syntax is rather ugly.  Since I'm not an expert in this
field, a question for those who are: is there a precedent for this
kind of syntax design?  I.e. loading extra values into the 2nd
half of the media type and introducing the '-' separator to do so?

Because if there is not, I would have to suggest that there must be
a better way, e.g. a syntax="xml" parameter or some such?  -Tim