Re: Modest Proposal

1999-05-13 11:25:03
Tim Bray wrote:

But that syntax is rather ugly.  Since I'm not an expert in this
field, a question for those who are: is there a precedent for this
kind of syntax design?  I.e. loading extra values into the 2nd
half of the media type and introducing the '-' separator to do so?

The media subtype already has:

        the "x-" prefix for experimental/private subtypes
        the prefixes "vnd." and "prs." for vendor-defined and
                personally-defined-but-publicly-usable subtypes

So adding "-xml" to the end is not really a big deal: "-" is already
legal in the syntax.

Because if there is not, I would have to suggest that there must be
a better way, e.g. a syntax="xml" parameter or some such?  -Tim

The trouble is that media-type parameters are meant to be for things
that vary, like charset.  There is no equivalent of #FIXED parameters
in media types.

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
cowan(_at_)ccil(_dot_)org