Re: Requesting a revision of RFC3023

2003-09-21 07:08:37

At 9:08 PM +0900 9/21/03, MURATA Makoto wrote:

UTF-8 has its own technical problems (the Unicode signature, representation
of non-BMP characters, etc.).

By Unicode signature, I'm guessing you mean the BOM? That problem seems to have been easily dealt with by simply deciding to allow it in UTF-8. It doesn't appear to have caused any problems in practice today.

I don't know what you problems you refer to with "representation of non-BMP characters". UTF-8 precisely specifies how these characters are represented. There's no issue here. Did you mean something else?

--

  Elliotte Rusty Harold
  elharo(_at_)metalab(_dot_)unc(_dot_)edu