Re: Requesting a revision of RFC3023

2003-09-22 04:59:09

On 21 Sep 2003 22:06:30 -0500
"Aaron Swartz" <me(_at_)aaronsw(_dot_)com> wrote:

I think that persuading users is more difficult than
persuading programmers.  I have encouraged use of Unicode
for XML in Japan, but nothing has happened.

The users shouldn't have to know what a character encoding is! Their
software should just use UTF-8 automatically.

Will users discard existing software, which supports legacy encogins, and
existing data, which are in legacy encodings?  I am not saying Unicode
everywhere is bad.  To the contrary, I think Unicode everywhere is better.
But it is extremely unlikely.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto <murata(_at_)hokkaido(_dot_)email(_dot_)ne(_dot_)jp>