Re: Requesting a revision of RFC3023

2003-09-19 11:05:19

At 21:25 03/09/19 +0900, MURATA Makoto wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 03:50:11 +0200
Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net> wrote:

> Depends on the format. Formats should provide means to specify
> the encoding, if they do not they are BAD, broken as designed.

If we really promote in-band declarations, we should recommend
one mechanism for all textual formats.  I think that CSS style
declaration (@chaset) is the best I have seen.

Can you explain what in particular you like about the CSS
mechanism? Do you expect that all formats would use exactly
the same character sequence, or only that they would use
the same structure?

As an example, should C/C++ use '@charset', or should they
use a more C-like '#charset'?

Regards,    Martin.

If the TAG recommends
this mechanism for all formats except XML and HTML, that would
be one reasonable principle.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto <murata(_at_)hokkaido(_dot_)email(_dot_)ne(_dot_)jp>