Re: IETF Adelaide and interim meetings for APPS WGs

2000-02-16 07:20:02
Austin Schutz wrote:

        It wouuld be possible to have all the mailing lists redistributed
using some babelfish-like mechanism for translation, though obviously that
wouldn't cover all languages and wouldn't do any well. Maybe better than
nothing.

Probably worse than nothing, unless there are much better translators than
babelfish out there.  WG discussions get down to really niggly points; a
translator that doesn't work *perfectly* is likely to make things worse.  At
least today, if we're talking through a language barrier, there's a human
brain doing the translation, able to recognize problems and rephrase as
needed.

--
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|