Re: recommendation against publication of draft-cerpa-necp-02.txt

2000-04-08 21:00:06
Why isn't the technical notion of stealth SMTP proxies intended and
currently used by third parties to "filter" objectionable email at least
as much anathema in the IETF as the technical notion of modifying voice/IP
protocols to someday facilitate "monitoring" of "criminal" voice traffic?

Am I weird in worrying even more about not being able to speak than about
the privacy of my words?

P.S. if you aren't bothered by the notion of third parties imposing what
 they consider "proxies" for your HTTP, SMTP, or other traffic, then the
 draft looks interesting.  As with the wiretapping controversy, the issue
 has nothing to do with the technical quality of the draft.

P.P.S. I don't like spam and have done more than many people to combat it,
  including having built and operated automated filters that rejected (and
  might still be rejecting) 1000's of messages per day from the network
  of a large corporation.  That filtering was not by a stealth proxy or
  by a third party and so was ok by my lights, but I'm beginning to wonder
  if it was such a good precedent.