Re: prohibiting RFC publication

2000-04-08 21:40:03
You seem quite afraid of the IETF being hijacked by vendors' marketing
people, but I submit you are denying a documented role of the IETF to be
a clearing house for information in the process.

I have no problem with IETF having that role, and I agree that it is useful.
My objection was not about IETF having this role, but about publication of
this specific document, in its current form.

2026 never says that all industry contributions are automatically
worthy of publciation.  Neither does it say that the purpose of
RFCs is to serve as a way for vendors to claim legitimacy for
techincally dubious ideas - as happens all too often.

This one, I think, is not worthy.  Or at least, it's on the margin.

Keith