Re: prohibiting RFC publication

2000-04-08 21:50:03
I couldn't agree more Keith,

As far as i'm concerned (IMHO) if the standards bodies were to be driven by the
vendors, then they would become no more
than sanitised purveyors of de facto standards, and je jure standards would be
relegated to being nothing more than "misty-eyed" memories.
(Apologies if my spelling isn't up to scratch, but it's late!)

Martin

Keith Moore wrote:

One would be hard-pressed to inspect the author-list of
draft-cerpa-necp-02.txt, the work of the associated companies, and the
clear need for optimizations of application performance, and then deem this
document not relevant.

I'm not hard-pressed to do this at all.  In fact I find it quite easy,
because I don't care who the authors work for.

IMHO, we should base not publication decisions on the authors' employers.
We should base them on technical merit.

The trade press is quite good at fawning over vendors' products;
I don't think IETF needs to take on that role.

Keith