Re: prohibiting RFC publication

2000-04-09 11:00:03
On 4/8/00 at 5:40 PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:

 > One would be hard-pressed to inspect the author-list of
 draft-cerpa-necp-02.txt, the work of the associated companies, and the
 clear need for optimizations of application performance, and then deem this
 > document not relevant.

I'm not hard-pressed to do this at all.  In fact I find it quite easy,
because I don't care who the authors work for.

You should care. Who the authors work for may have no impact whatsoever on *technical merit* (I would claim it never does), but it very often does indicate something about *relevance to the Internet community*. If lots of people from companies that have impact on the working of the Internet are doing something on the Internet and want to publish the existence of that practice, it is bloody well *relevant*, regardless of its technical merit.

IMHO, we should base not publication decisions on the authors' employers.
We should base them on technical merit.

You need to go back and read the message to which you are responding again. Technical merit is specifically *not* a factor in deciding publication of an Experimental or Informational document.

The trade press is quite good at fawning over vendors' products;
I don't think IETF needs to take on that role.

3 straw men in one message. Impressive.

Dave's message only said that technical merit has no bearing on publication of Informational or Experimental RFCs. He (nor anyone else in this thread as far as I can tell) mad no claim that we ought to determine technical merit on the basis of the vendors, nor that we base a decision for publication based solely on who those vendors are, nor that we fawn over vendors products. He suggested that we allow them to document current practice. Unless (cf. 2026) "the IESG considers that the document proposes something that conflicts with, or is actually inimical to, an established IETF effort" (which I have not heard out of the IESG yet), the RFC editor should (with the required changes of getting rid of "implied standardhood") publish the document.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated