Re: Cite on DNS-related traffic.

2000-05-30 19:50:02
On Tue, 30 May 2000 16:56:21 PDT, Daryl Bunce
<daryl(_dot_)bunce(_at_)attws(_dot_)com>  said:
I've often wondered how much of the overload is due to
browsers looking for XYZ.com, then looking for www.XYZ.com...
Just one of those things thought about in the wee hours.

I run an off-site secondary for another .edu's DNS.  I once got
curious, and watched *WAY* too many lookups for (in quick sequence)

www.netscape.com.dept.other.edu
www.netscape.com.other.edu
www.netscape.com.edu
www.netscape.com

No, I don't know why I got the last one, as I'm only answering for
'other.edu'.  Perhaps the host doing the queries had a sudden fit
of inspiration, saw my machine as an NS for its domain, and guessed.
Or maybe just some funky info in a DHCP config file someplace...

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst
                                Virginia Tech