Re: Cite on DNS-related traffic.

2000-05-31 11:00:03
<<On Tue, 30 May 2000 23:48:21 -0400, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu
said:

Yes.  However, it's unclear (to me, at least) whether either
of the following should be true by default:

a) That it should try 'other.edu' and 'edu', if suffixing with the
given suffix fails.

This should not be true, but is historic behavior on the part of
several very common resolvers.  (Particularly, this is the behavior
one gets with an old BSD resolver all the time, or with a newer BSD
resolver when it's misconfigured.)

Have a look at
<http://khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu/wollman/dns-cache-week.png> and
<http://khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu/wollman/dns-errors-week.png> for an
interesting look at what one of our major resolvers does.  (For
hysterical raisins, our main name servers have historically been
name-resolution servers for low-end clients.)  (Yes, I know that
``lame server'' is not an actual DNS protocol error, it's a
configuration error, but the operational result is the same: we sent a
query and got an unhelpful response.)

-GAWollman

wollman(_at_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu  | O Siem / The fires of freedom