Re: Cite on DNS-related traffic.

2000-05-30 21:10:02
On Tue, 30 May 2000 23:33:13 EDT, Garreth Jeremiah said:
Excuse me if this is answering the wron question here, but.....
This is just cycling through the clients "DNS Suffix search order", which is
clearly set to: dept.other.edu

Yes.  However, it's unclear (to me, at least) whether either
of the following should be true by default:

a) That it should try 'other.edu' and 'edu', if suffixing with the
given suffix fails.

b) That it should do any rewriting at all if there's a '.' already
in the name.

Yes, I know that you need both of these to make 'foobar.chem'
resolve to 'foobar.chem.other.edu' if you're in a *.phys.other.edu
subnet...  But there's gotta be a way to avoid this behavior as
a default...

/Valdis (who thinks things would work a LOT better overall if everybody
just kept their machines configured right and installed recent patches
once a year or so.... ;)