Re: fyi.. House Committee Passes Bill Limiting Spam E-Mail

2000-06-19 15:30:04
Chip Rosenthal <chip(_at_)unicom(_dot_)com> writes:

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 09:35:23PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
And I hope that the courts will finally realize that freedom of speech
includes the freedom not to have your communications disrupted by people
who want to sell you things.

The biggest problem with the bill, as it currently reads, is that the
transport notification has been dropped.  There was an ID by Hoffman
and Levine (I believe since expired, can't find it now) that allowed
an organization to "opt out" from unsolicited commercial email by
indicating so in the SMTP banner.

Rescap Profile for Mail User Agents
draft-hoffman-rescap-mua-02.txt
November 20, 1999

--
Mark Atwood   | It is the hardest thing for intellectuals to understand, that
mra(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com | just because they haven't thought of something,
http://www.pobox.com/~mra