Re: fyi.. House Committee Passes Bill Limiting Spam E-Mail

2000-06-15 18:50:02
Furthermore, CAUCE, which is a widely respected anti-spam organization,
"vigorously supports" HR 3113 according to
<http://www.cauce.org/pressreleases/pr-hr3113-1.shtml>.

my understanding is that CAUCE has been in cahoots with the DMA for quite
a while.  so whatever they respect that might once have had is now dubious.

Although I might prefer for spam to just be outlawed, I am certainly willing
to go to an FCC website to remove my email addresses, and I do not consider
the 30 day waiting period that onerous.

I don't believe for a nanosecond that an opt-out list is going to work.
It doesn't work for phone solicitation, it doesn't work for junk snail
mail.  It certainly won't work for a global Internet.

But why not make up your own mind.  The bill is at
<http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c106:H.R.3113:>.

Be sure to read the amended version.  It's better than the original.

Keith