Re: WAP Is A Trap -- Reject WAP

2000-06-20 08:10:02
Mohsen BANAN-Public wrote:

In the WAP model, by contrast, the WAP gateway
operated by the Service Provider plays the active
role of translating and storing web content, and
therefore controls access to the content by the
end-user.

I'm pretty sure this is inaccurate.  The content provider develops their
site in WML and hosts it on their own website; the service provider does
not translate it or store it (though they may cache it).

(I say "pretty sure" because I haven't done any WAP development,
only HDML.)

New websites and new web content do not
become available to the end-user without the
active participation of the Service Provider.

This can be true (for different reasons), but not always.  The user may
not be able to go to an arbitrary URL; they have to entire the WAP world
via the service provider's home page, and get guided to the content sites
the provider wants them to see.  Some (most? all?) providers, though, will
provide a form to fill out to go to a URL (I know Sprint does); and some
cellphones may include a browser that lets the user enter a URL (I don't
know of any that do, but there's nothing to stop them).

--
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|