Re: WAP Is A Trap -- Reject WAP

2000-06-22 12:50:02

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:02:39 +0100 (BST), Lloyd Wood
<l(_dot_)wood(_at_)eim(_dot_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> said:

  Lloyd> And from that anti-WAP polemic:

  Mohsen> We gratefully acknowledge the assistance of the
  Mohsen> following persons in the preparation and review of
  Mohsen> this document:  Andrew Hammoude, Richard Stallman,
  Mohsen> Bill Frezza and Rob Mechaley.

  Lloyd> it's rms's 'do not use Tcl because I say so' all over again!

Please target ALL your criticisms of "The WAP Trap" to it author,
Mohsen Banan. I wrote that paper. The paper represents my positions.

The heart of "The WAP Trap" revolves around patented protocols.

RMS's involvement in the Free Protocols Foundation is centered around
the harm of patented protocols. That is consistent with his track
record and leadership on this issue.

Do you have anything against patent-free protocols and in favor of
patented protocols?

If not, then you, RMS and I are on the same side of this issue.

  Lloyd> will be quite happy if WAP fails on its own merits, thankyouverymuch.

WAP will fail on its own merit.

The main issue here is "patents" and "protocols".

Most of the discussions on the IETF list so far has been techie-talk.

I also want to worry about the bigger picture.

Should we just wait for the next WAP, where businessmen and marketeers
pull another fast one on the industry?

My paper says that we can take certain steps to prevent that.

...Mohsen.