RE: WAP and IP

2000-06-22 15:30:02
At 11:39 22.06.2000 -0400, Brijesh Kumar wrote:
and I noticed that packet loss could be as much as 3 %. CDPD
modem that I used gave me about 1100 byte throughput using TCP (well,
half the channel went in framing overheads of the MDLP and over the
air protocol, and TCP slow starts.). With these kind of losses TCP
throughput tanks!

this is the kind of TCP throughput that European networks were seeing to the US throughout large segments of the 80s and early 90s.

I've transferred large mail batches over UUCP under 20% packet loss conditions. That's when TCP gets kind of unusable.

Of course some current RF medium such as ReFLEX network can't
run TCP because many devices need to compete simultaneously for a
channel and continuous allocation of channel is not guaranteed.

maybe it can't, but not for that reason.
Remember ALOHAnet, and that you don't have guaranteed continuous allocation of channel on an Ethernet.

Add to
that even if there was enough bandwidth, small screen's on some of the
today's devices can't meaningfully display all contents of modern web
sites.

Neither can Lynx, a popular text-mode browser.

The fact is that the Internet was developed *in* and *for* the bandwidth and display capabilities that WAP currently is claiming to be designed for.
It just scaled well.

                       Harald

                Harald

Harald(_dot_)Alvestrand(_at_)edb(_dot_)maxware(_dot_)no