RE: WAP and IP

2000-06-25 23:10:03
At 05.30 +0000 00-06-26, Mohsen BANAN-Public wrote:
  >> IETF/IESG/IAB folks keep saying TCP is good enough for everything.

  Patrik> We don't.

  Patrik> See for example SCTP described in draft-ietf-sigtran-sctp-09.txt and
  Patrik> applied to many applications which for example have to do with
  Patrik> telephony signalling.

The current status, state and beginning date of that example
makes my point.

You are extrapolating the time it takes to get consensus around a document in a working group with people stating that TCP is good enough?

After 7 months of delay, caused by the IESG, ESRO was published
as an RFC in Sept. 1997.

There have already been enough discussions on the IETF list about ESRO. See the archives.

You seem to (once again) ignore the problems with making protocols interoperate.

The rest of this discussion exists in the IETF mailing list archives.

   - Equal access to RFC Publication Service

This is not possible, as a review process is guaranteeing the quality of the work published. For the various tracks, different reviews are done. For informational (such as ESRO) the RFC-Editor is deciding whether something is good enough, and asks for input from the IESG.

Issues which were discussed heavily regarding your two protocols are:

 - Congestion control
 - Ability to gateway to/from existing standards
 - Internationalization issues
 - Security

See IESG note in the beginning of RFC 2524.

All new protocols have to address those issues, as the experience we have with the protocols we have today gives that those issues (probably) were not addressed enough in those. Because we made that mistake once, we don't want to make the same mistake again. So, the IESG asks all people which write new protocols to address the issues above (and some others).

So, regarding the protocols you have proposed, it is not the case of "better or worse than TCP", it is about "does the protocols proposed address all issues we _today_ think a new protocol have to fulfil. That doesn't say that the protocols we use today would pass if created today. We should though not swap from something bad into another thing not solving the problems we know exists.

     Regards, Patrik