ESRO (RE: WAP and IP)

2000-06-25 23:30:02
At 05:30 26.06.2000 +0000, Mohsen BANAN-Public wrote:

The current status, state and beginning date of that example
makes my point.

After 7 months of delay, caused by the IESG, ESRO was published
as an RFC in Sept. 1997.

History note:

ESRO (RFC 2188) was delayed, as far as I remember, because of lack of response from the authors to IESG comments; this turned out to be because the author either didn't get them or didn't think/understand that a response was needed. I remember some apologies at the time, and the document was published without making the changes that the comments (some mine) had asked for.

ESRO was published without significant input from the IETF community, and has some aspects that I consider rather stupid (tied to a single UDP port number (4.6.3), use of a THREE-bit transport selector (4.4.1) and total lack of discussion of congestion control), but did not face significant opposition in the IESG.

It's EMSD (RFC 2524) that was considered by the IESG to be bad enough that it was labelled with an IESG warning containing sentences like "makes EMSD completely unsuitable for end-to-end use across the public Internet", and seemingly earned the IESG the permanent enmity of Mohsen Banan.

                       Harald

Harald(_dot_)Alvestrand(_at_)edb(_dot_)maxware(_dot_)no