WAP and IP

2000-06-21 14:10:03
Keith wrote;
I expect that WAP will evolve, and continue to be used, because there will
certainly be some services that fit its market niche.  But it will
generally be run over IP, because IP will generally be available and
it is more efficient than SMS.  And it will be just one of many IP-based
services that are accessible from a wireless platform.

What's funny is that of *current* WAP and Phone.com deployments, almost
all use IP as the bearer to the handset (I don't personally know of any
that don't, but there may be some), and none (AFAIK) use SMS.

Oops.

Brijesh wrote;
WAP's goal is not to replace IP, but mediate between non-IP wireless
devices, and existing IP based wire line applications.

Yet there's no need to do this, since your phone is already IP.

See above. The size of display isn't the issue. Contrary to what you
say, most people who work in cellular industry think that WAP is very
interesting piece of work given the limitations of the systems that
are *widely deployed and used today*.

You need to talk to more people. 8-)  If you're at the WAPforum meeting
right now, let me know and we can get together and talk more about it in
person.

MB