Re: ESRO (RE: WAP and IP)

2000-06-28 03:20:02
At 14:56 27.06.2000 +0000, Mohsen BANAN-Public wrote:
Other UDP ports can be used. There is nothing in the design of ESRO
that limits UDP port usage. This much is obvious. In fact EMSD uses
its own UDP port. Other Efficient Applictions can use other UDP ports
with ESRO. That was part of our design. There is no shortage of UDP ports.

my comment was that the spec didn't say this, it said that ESRO used port 259.
your reply acknowledging this is in http://www.esro.org/communicationRecord/rfc2188Publication/msg00020.html (nice of you to provide the archive, btw).

The published RFC did not clarify this point.

My note was dated Aug 17, 1997; the RFC was published on Sept 9, so you probably decided that pushing it out the door was more important than addressing my concern in the RFC.

btw, the dustup over ESRO did lead to a number of tightenings of the procedures for informational publication. I hope we do better now; while I personally don't think the protocol is very useful, the procedural foulup was inexcusable.

                Harald

Harald(_dot_)Alvestrand(_at_)edb(_dot_)maxware(_dot_)no