Re: IP over MIME (was Re: WAP Is A Trap -- Reject WAP)

2000-06-22 05:50:03
From: Patrik Fältström  <paf(_at_)swip(_dot_)net>
Subject: Re: IP over MIME (was Re: WAP Is A Trap -- Reject WAP)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:02:56 +0200

At 13.37 +0200 00-06-22, Magnus Danielson wrote:
 > 1926 An Experimental Encapsulation of IP Datagrams on Top of ATM. J.
       Eriksson. April 1996. (Format: TXT=2969 bytes) (Status:
       INFORMATIONAL)

I still havent found a working implementation of this. Any references?
Did the channel selection ever get automated?

I know that Peter Deutch at then Bunyip was working on a slightly
different, but similar, proposal which was to run IP over a string. I
guess that if he is on this list, he can explain.

I know of succesfull lab tests with running MPEG video over strings, for short
distances you can reach several megabits. The downside is that the distance
damping is great so it is not a solution for the last mile, it is more a
solution for the last meter or so. The benefit of this technology is that you
can hear the traffic load over the string as a side consequence of the
transmission mode. A good string has considerable more bandwidth than free air
transmissions. The good point about building networks over strings is that the
medium naturally causes the distance to be short so that the distance between
the boxes becomes smaller. This naturally brings down the feasable number of
boxes and the protocols can be simplified since you no longer have as sever
scaling problems. Excess bandwidth through the wire may cause heating, so one
has to select a string of suitable material or else it will convert itself to
a fire wire.

Cheers,
Magnus