Re: Usable Video from Meetings (was Re: Suggestion)

2000-10-20 00:10:02
At 08:25 19/10/2000 -0400, Daniel Senie wrote:
I wonder if we have any statistics available on how many people actually
tune in to the multicast sessions? Many network providers are presently
unable or unwilling to allow multicast into their networks. Last I
asked, this included ATT Broadband/MediaOne/Roadrunner, among many
others.

my anarchistic self wonders....
what would happen if there was an open server that would allow (filtered) MBONE tunnels to connect, and a widely available (Linux?) client that would connect to that server, and behave like a multicast router?

"start this program on a spare PC, and you too can watch the IETF multicast".

I've been frustrated by the need to modify core routers to support multicast properly, and the resulting reluctance of the ISPs to deploy it.
Perhaps it's time to interpret this as damage, and route around it....?

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com
+47 41 44 29 94