Re: Usable Video from Meetings (was Re: Suggestion)

2000-10-20 05:30:03
Harald Alvestrand wrote:
what would happen if there was an open server that would allow (filtered)
MBONE tunnels to connect, and a widely available (Linux?) client that would
connect to that server, and behave like a multicast router?

It's been done.  I've implemented such in various real time games,
and Paul Francis gave a nice talk on his YallCast.  What we need
is a formal standard....   Yet another WG, I guess.

I've been frustrated by the need to modify core routers to support
multicast properly, and the resulting reluctance of the ISPs to deploy it.
Perhaps it's time to interpret this as damage, and route around it....?

Yes.  Current multicast doesn't scale.

WSimpson(_at_)UMich(_dot_)edu