Re: Internationalization and the IETF

2000-12-07 08:20:03
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> said:

The notion that use of languages other than English can or should be
'localized' strikes me as both shockingly arrogant and hopelessly naive.

It strikes me that the underlying assumption that people can't or won't
deal with numeric addresses may no longer be a valid one, once full
internationalization of canonical names is a reality.  It would be a lot
easier for me to handle pure numeric addresses than, for example,
Chinese characters.  I would hazard a guess that the vast majority
of Internet message addressing is done automatically through the use of
bookmarks/hyperlinks or email address books, anyway.  It might be a hassle in
the original contact to have to type in a sequence of numbers, but
after that it's back to point and click.

Maybe in the long run we just won't need domain name translation.

Cheers,

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP
Information Systems Security Officer