Re: Will Language Wars Balkanize the Web?

2000-12-07 07:40:02
At 08:15 AM 12/4/00 -0500, Dave Crocker wrote:
On the other hand, this thread was triggered by Graham's question about the negative impact of partitioning. The postal example would seem to show that the effect is not so bad.

Except I would claim that it is not partitioning. Note that an address always has a global representation, in addition to a possibly different local one.

You're right, it's not strictly partitioning...

Perhaps that can reconciled as easily as claiming that any 'local' domain name must also have a global form? (But, somehow, the word "scaling" gets in the way of believing that.)

... when I asked that question, I had in mind something like Tim Berners Lee presented about at the WWW5 conference in 1996, in which connectivity between communities might be seen as having a fractal structure, with groupings and lines of communication between groups visible at a range of scales. I think this is, in part, how people achieve flexible scalability in their communications. (Similar patterns also arise in natural phenomena).

#g
--

BTW, the basic tenet of end-to-end connectivity of data and services is, I think, satisfied by the IP layer. Part of my question was about the extent to which this end-to-end-ness needs to be duplicated at higher layers.

Graham Klyne
(GK(_at_)ACM(_dot_)ORG)