Re: Will Language Wars Balkanize the Web?

2000-12-04 06:30:02

Thank you. I was hoping someone would point out the support for parallel operation so we could go further down that path. As you note, it seems to be the closest to providing local/global support already.

That means postal gives us:

1. Global support for a common "character set"

2. Global support for a carefully mixed character set -- though really it is just a partitioning between the global field and the local field

3. Local support for a local character set.

(the support goes beyond character set, but let's leave it at that if that's ok.)

An immediate problem with comparing to postal is that it somewhat correlates with the path a letter will take, so that the incremental interpretation can be done by groups with different language skill-sets. The DNS does not have that flexibility and the domain name interpretation is not part of the transfer sequence of the data.

Schemes that put an ACE-like field into a .com might be considered to be like #2, above, by really they are not. The whole string is still global.

Frankly this leaves me viewing the postal example as pretty unhelpful for finding a solution to the DNS requirement.

On the other hand, this thread was triggered by Graham's question about the negative impact of partitioning. The postal example would seem to show that the effect is not so bad.

Except I would claim that it is not partitioning. Note that an address always has a global representation, in addition to a possibly different local one.

Perhaps that can reconciled as easily as claiming that any 'local' domain name must also have a global form? (But, somehow, the word "scaling" gets in the way of believing that.)

d/