Re: Will Language Wars Balkanize the Web?

2000-12-03 17:10:02

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 04:56:38PM -0500, Kimon A. Andreou wrote:
<snip>
You can't address a letter to someone in Berkeley, USA in nagari or
amharic
characters and expect it to reach. However you can address a letter to
someone
in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in ASCII characters with a poor-phonetic
approximation and expect it to reach (choice of locales based on
experience).

<snip>

Adi

But don't packets get routed using IP addresses  (i.e. numbers) ?

er, wrong layer. Although I'm as good at remembering IP addresses as phone
numbers, you'll have a hard time convincing others to give up DNS.

"I'm sorry, I'm not going to be able to figure out how to type that email
address on my keyboard, could you please send me a message, and I'll just hit
reply".

Adi