Re: Will Language Wars Balkanize the Web?

2000-12-03 14:30:03
As has been noted, the _hard part_ is making the protocol that is used between
countries' communications systems "language independent".

Would it be such a bad thing to be unable to make a phone call to anywhere
in the world?

I have yet to see a telephone dialpad that even has non-arabic base-10 numbers
on it (has it slowed the spread and use of the phone system?).

Would it be such a bad thing to be unable to postal mail a letter or
package to anywhere in the world?

You can't address a letter to someone in Berkeley, USA in nagari or amharic
characters and expect it to reach. However you can address a letter to someone
in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in ASCII characters with a poor-phonetic
approximation and expect it to reach (choice of locales based on experience).

At some point it's not worth the effort to "internationalize" all the
layers...will the lucrative returns on additional domains pay for such an
effort? and will that make an already "complex" Internet more accessible?

Does Babelization without language isomorphism lead to Balkanization? Or, "why
is machine translation so hard?".

Adi