Re: guidance (re: social event politeness)

2000-12-13 16:50:03
On 13 Dec 2000 at 14:50 -0800, Randy Bush apparently wrote:
my wife, a preschool teacher was in oslo.  she said that she had never
conceived that so many add (attention deficit) people could be in one
place.  our population has an overly high proportion of people who
think that they are more 'important' than everyone else, the kind of
folk who cut in plane boarding lines as if they will get to seattle
sooner.

I don't think it's arrogance.  Most of the people I talk to at the IETF
are socially aware.  I suspect it's two things.  First, this is a crew
who have been conditioned in their jobs to do whatever it takes to
accomplish goals.  That's fine in a controlled environment but can cause
trouble in the outside world.  Second, the overcrowding at the social
event was such that it was clear there was a very good chance that if
you weren't at the front of a "line" you would not get what you wanted
ever.  Ever.  Not a situation we face very often.