Re: guidance (re: social event politeness)

2000-12-13 22:10:05
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:13:49 -0700 (MST), Vernon Schryver
<vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com> wrote:

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja(_at_)darkwing(_dot_)uoregon(_dot_)edu>

Another common curtesy issue this thread has raised is vacation scripts...

I've recieved 3 dozen or so responses from people on the mailing list who
have automated vacation scripts. Please if you must use a vaction script
on your mail either unsubscribe from the mailing list while you're gone,
use procmail to filter your lists so they don't get caught by your
vacation script, or just don't use vacation...

It's far from all vacation mechanisms that do the evil deed.  If you look
at the headers, you'll almost certainly find a telltale line of the form:

Don't blame the product - in this case the blame rests firmly upon the
user. I used that product for years and managed to avoid spamming this
or any other list with useless information about my travel schedule.
If users would try testing their rules before trusting their own
abilities, they might spot the mistakes.

If the IETF doesn't try to enforce minimal standards where it
affects the business of the IETF, then the junkware vendors will
never bother to fix their junk.

I remember having a similar perspective once - when I blackholed every
free e-mail service I could find from our systems, so we weren't
subjected to their high volume of spam. Of course, none of our
customers on hotmail could e-mail us, but...

Ted Gavin                http://member.newsguy.com/~tedgavin
 "Hackers love PERL like they love their family dog."
 -read in "Database Processing" by David M. Kroenke