RE: Bottom feeders

2000-12-27 02:00:02
    Dan>      [Dan]  Why would a color coded badge-per-day system would be
an
    Dan> administrative nightmare? Like Monday = green, Tuesday =
Yellow,...,Blue =
    Dan> the whole week. I do not think that this would require more badge
screening
    Dan> than today.  This would certainly encourage a more focused
participation
    Dan> planning.

  That would be fine, but there are three problems that I see:
  1) schedule changes (such as to get a group into a bigger room, to add
       additional time for issues, etc.) would be impossible.
        [Dan]  Schedule changes are usually done within the same day, just
because some people do plan for specific working group(s) attendance anyway.
I cannot remember changes made at the last moment that involved moving a
meeting from one day to another.

  2) it doesn't make the hotel issue any easier, as we have less buying
       power.
        [Dan]   Maybe, but the goal of this discussion is lowering the
crowding...
   3) It guarantees that newcomers will not be there on Sunday for an
    orientation session.
        [Dan]  Newcomers orientation meeting should be open.

  I like the idea of encouraging more interum meetings.
        [Dan]  I do like interim meetings as well. Some of the interim
meetings I was involved in were very productive. However, my impression is
that the IESG does not encourage them - they would rather see Working Groups
using the e-mail lists.