Re: Eliminating Virus Spam

2001-01-03 16:00:02
    I think it would be a mistake for the IETF to try to get into the
    business of protecting mailing list subscribers from virses.

I'd sure like to understand your motivation for this point of view.
Since it is, in fact, relatively straightforward to put virus scanning
in front of message distribution I would think this is exactly what we
want the IETF to do, or more precisely the IETF Secretariat to do for
those elists they manage.  The only real work in such an activity is
keeping up with the "virus updates".

Jim

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Donald E. Eastlake 3rd wrote:

    Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:51:04 -0500
    From: Donald E. Eastlake 3rd <dee3(_at_)torque(_dot_)pothole(_dot_)com>
    To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
    Subject: Re: Eliminating Virus Spam

    I think it would be a mistake for the IETF to try to get into the
    business of protecting mailing list subscribers from virses.  But the
    list membership should be protected from anti-virus software spamming
    by some combination of filters and unsubscribing those whose sites run
    such unscalable software.

    Donald